Friday, December 3, 2010

Newsies


I apologize for the delay. A week or so ago I mentioned that Adam and I combined forces to create something for the wedding. Well, here is it... hot off the press!

We submitted our love story to Smitten Photography's 4th annual LOVEstory contest with the hope of winning a wedding photography package from one of our favorite photographers with Knoxville roots.

The parameters of the competition allowed us to be creative, and so we gave it our best shot.

Drawing on our newspaper roots, I wrote an article to tell our (well, more so my side of) our story while designing a front page to truly illustrate it. Adam did a fantastic job making the spread, as well as his photos, look old and wrinkled.

(I'm working to figure out how to post the full size .pdf so you can actually read the text... until then, the copy is at the bottom of this post)

Sadly, we didn't make the final cut, but it was such a fun project for Adam and I to share as a newly engaged couple and as a writing/photography team that we're thankful to have entered.

Please visit Smitten Photograhy's website on Sunday, Dec. 5 to vote for the lucky couple who will win a dream photography package!

TGIF,
BTB

P.S. For my newspaper friends, we were REQUIRED to keep it within 8.5" x 11"

----

by Bride-to-Be

Hot off the Market
Knoxville photographer and Virginia writer set deadline for wedding

I fell in love with Adam in a beauty salon.

To clarify, I was not daydreaming under the dryer or gushing to the stylist over highlights.

Rather, I was running late to a four-hour hair and make-up makeover I was covering for the newspaper.

As I barreled through the salon’s door full of apologies with reporter’s notebook in hand, I was told the contestant was already in the changing room, and invited to take a seat.

I turned around and there he was unpacking his lighting equipment: Adam, the new staff photographer I’d rarely seen in the newsroom.

Little did I know he would be on assignment that day, let alone on my radar.

As I hurriedly took notes on bobs, bangs, and bronzer, I took note of Adam.

He was politely witty; he could carry a conversation about music; he was a pro at the name game. Moreover, he was resoundingly confident n what he was doing. I could smell Jesus on him.

My nerves, frazzled from work anxiety, fell into a peaceful sleep; in their place sprung a bewildering and steadfast attraction to “sweet, calm, generous, funny Adam,” as he was coined in my journal the same night.

“My full range of emotions is exhausting. I don’t even know the kid and I’m positive that I like him,” I wrote. “I don’t think I’ve ever felt like this. It’s like going from zero to 60 without him even in the car.”

And so it began.

While I admit to always chomping at the bit, our story is slow and steady.

We forged a friendship across cubicles and behind cameras, dodging questions from coworkers while concealing our blushing faces over the copy machine.

I learned the true meaning of patience and pursuit as I waited for something that actually wouldn’t begin until I dated someone else and Adam ended a relationship with another.

Our story has proven that when the perfect comes, the partial will pass. When I met Adam, my limited understanding of love began to shed- how it sustains, how it remains, and how it gains in fullness.

I caught a glimpse of something eternal in the salon- something stronger than the ammonia fumes: Love has perfect timing, but adheres to no deadline.

2 comments:

  1. BTB, your story made me smile :) It was a delight to read. So happy for you two!

    ReplyDelete